Friday, July 24, 2009
I stepped on a skateboard, of course.
There aren't enough words to describe how many emotions I'm feeling. Suffice to say, I'm feeling all of them.
What a stupid thing to happen, but, I'm sure one day I'll say "Thank God I broke my wrist....the blessings far outweigh the pain & suffering."
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be saying that....just not sure when : )
Love, Light & Healing
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
As I type I am contemplating what to do with his ashes. I have had them the way they were given to me for almost a year now. I couldn't bare to think of not having Mango with me in some way. I had him since the day he was born until the day he died. I thought if I held onto him a little tighter that I could keep him closer. Turns out not so much.
I'm still crying for my friend, brother, son. He was never a pet to me. A brother? Yes, definitely. A friend? That goes without saying. My son? Well, yes. I've never had my own children and I raised him so...yes. My son.
It hurts me like losing a child. Still.
I can't believe it's a year already.
And he was so social. He greeted everyone that came to the house.
And he fell in love with Rosie in the winter of his life.
And she fell in love with him. And then came Mohito. They all became fast friends and picked up each others habits. They were a tribe.....we were.
Yes we still are, but when one, just one member of your family is no longer in the mix it hurts. Sure there may be tens more around you, but you'll always be looking for the one that's not physically there.
Kiss someone you love today. Tell them.
Life is very, very short and love is a gift that we choose to give to one another. If someone has chosen to give you their love during this lifetime, give your love back. Kiss them. Hug them. Sacrifice for them. Show them how much you appreciate their love and energy. They don't have to give you their love....remember it's a choice. They give just as freely as you do. So give then....freely with no expectations.
The reward is a lifetime of love and memories that if you do it right the first time, you will not be left wanting. Well....just wanting more perhaps.
Mango, I hope I figure out what to do. As I look at this picture with you and the girls, I think I know. I hope so. In the meantime, I love you more than words can express I want to thank you for being my friend. xoxo Loving you always, Mom.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
The following are few of the more interesting studies.
Another Reiki study done at the Helfgott Research Institute at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland, Oregon, showed that Reiki has a measurable effect on the immune system. This study examined the effect of Reiki on the white blood cell counts of volunteers who were randomized into three groups—those who received Reiki, those who relaxed, and those who neither received Reiki or relaxation. Blood was drawn for examination before the treatment, immediately after treatment, and four hours after treatment.The study shows that Reiki enhanced the immune system by increasing the number of white blood cells in those who received Reiki. Because this was a small preliminary study, the results provide the basis for further study of the ability of Reiki to make healthy improvements in those that receive it. Hodsdon, W., Mendenhall, E., Green, R., Kates-Chinnoy,S., Wacker, E, & Zwickey, H. The Effect of Reiki on the Immune System. Helfgott Research Institute at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland, Oregon, USA
Wendy Wetzel, a registered nurse describes a Reiki experiment she conducted in her paper, "Reiki Healing: A Physiologic Perspective." In her study, forty-eight people made up the experimental group while 10 made up a control group. Both groups had blood samples taken at the beginning and at the end of the experiment. The experimental group received First Degree Reiki training. The control group was not involved in the Reiki training. The blood samples were measured for hemoglobin and hematocrit values. Hemoglobin is the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen. Hematocrit is the ratio of red blood cells to total blood volume. The people in the experimental group who received Reiki training experienced a significant change in these values with 28 percent experiencing an increase and the remainder experiencing a decrease. The people in the control group who did not receive Reiki training experienced no significant change. It is thought that changes, whether an increase or decrease are consistent with the purpose of Reiki which is to bring balance on an individual basis. One individual experienced a 20% increase in these values. She continued to treat herself with Reiki daily and after three months, her increase had been maintained and in fact had continued to improve. This improvement was appropriate for her as she had been experiencing iron deficiency anemia.
Another study in laying on hands has also demonstrated its ability to increase hemoglobin values. A medical doctor, Otelia Bengssten, M.D. conducted an experiment with a group of 79 sick patients. Together the patients had a wide range of diagnosed illnesses including pancreatitis, brain tumor, emphysema, multiple endocrine disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, and congestive heart failure. Laying-on hands treatments were given to 46 patients with 33 as controls. The treated patients showed significant increases in hemoglobin values. The effect was so pronounced that even cancer patients who were being treated with bone marrow-suppressive agents which predictably induce decreases in hemoglobin values showed an increase. The majority of patients also reported improvement or complete disappearance of symptoms. Both this experiment and the one above, demonstrate that healers are able to induce actual biological improvements in the patients they treat rather than simply create a feeling of well-being.
Laying-on hands healing has been validated by experiments carried out at St. Vincent's medical Center in New York. The study was carried out by Janet Quinn, assistant director of nursing at the University of South Carolina. The design of this study tends to rule out the placebo effect. Thirty heart patients were given a 20 question psychological test to determine their level of anxiety. Then they were treated by a group trained in Therapeutic Touch healing. A control group of patients were also treated by sham healers who imitated the same positions as those who had training. Anxiety levels dropped 17 percent after only five minutes treatment by trained practitioners, but those who were only imitating a treatment created no effect.
Daniel Wirth of Healing Sciences International in Orinda, California conducted a tightly controlled experiment involving a healing technique. Forty four male college students received identical minor wounds deliberately inflicted by a doctor in the right or left shoulder. Twenty-three then received a healing treatment and the other twenty-one did not. The treatments were given in such a way that the possibility of a placebo effect was ruled out. All forty-four students extend their arms though a hole in the wall. In the other room, a trained healer was present for those who received healing and administered healing from a distance without touching. For those who did not receive healing, no one was present in the room. Both the students and the doctor who administered the wounds and later also evaluated their healing rate had been told that the experiment was about the electrical conductivity of the body. Neither knew that the experiment was about healing. Eight and sixteen day follow-up measurements of the rate of wound healing were done. After eight days, the treated groups wounds had shrunk 93.5 percent compared with 67.3 percent for those not treated. After sixteen days, the figures were 99.3 and 90.9. After debriefing, the students stated they did not know the true nature of the experiment and had felt no contact with the healer. The possibility that expectations of the students caused the healing was ruled out.
Dr. John Zimmerman of the University of Colorado using a SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device) has discovered that magnetic fields several hundred times stronger than background noise are created around the hands of trained healers when doing healing work on patients. No such fields are created by sham’ healers making the same movements indicating something special is happening with the trained healers. The frequencies of the magnetic fields surrounding the hands of the trained healers were of the alpha and theta wave range similar to those seen in the brain of meditators.
Dr. Barnard Grad of McGill University in Montreal, used barley seeds to test the effect of psychic healing energies on plants. The seeds were planted in pots and watered with a saline solution which is known to retard their sprouting and growth. With elaborate double-blind conditions set-up, one group of seeds were watered with saline solution that had been treated by a psychic healer. The treated saline was held by the healer in a sealed container for fifteen minutes. The other seeds were watered with untreated saline. The person watering the plants did not know which group was getting the treated saline and which was getting the untreated saline. The plants watered with healer treated saline solution grew faster and were healthier producing 25% more weight and having a higher chlorophyll content. These experiments have been replicated in Dr. Grads lab and in other laboratories as well.
Dr. Grad carried out similar experiments involving tap water and plants. Sealed containers of water were given to a psychic healer to hold and others were given to a severely depressed patient to hold. The plants watered with the healer-held water had an increased growth rate and those watered with the water held by the severely depressed patient had a decrease in growth rate compared to controls. These experiments involving plants, in addition to confirming the non-placebo nature of psychic healing, scientifically confirm the ancient metaphysical understanding that healing energies can be stored in water for future use.
In another experiment involving psychic healer Olga Worrall, Dr. Robert Miller used an electromechanical transducer to measure the microscopic growth rate of rye grass. The device used has an accuracy of one thousandth of an inch per hour. Dr. Miller set-up the experiment in his laboratory and then left, locking the door behind him to eliminate any unnecessary disturbance. Olga, located over 600 miles away was asked to pray for the test plant at exactly 9 PM that evening. When Dr. Miller returned to the laboratory the next day, the test equipment had recorded normal continuous growth of 6.25 thousandths of an inch per hour up to 9 PM. At that time, the record began to deviate upward and had risen to 52.5 thousands of an inch per hour which was an increase of 840 percent! This increased growth rate remained till morning when it decreased but never to its original level.
The Spindrift group has done extensive research involving prayer and plants. Their results indicate that prayed for plants always grow faster and are healthier than non-prayed for plants even though the conditions are equal for both groups of plants and those doing the praying are miles away. These results were consistent regardless of the distance involved and occurred over and over. They are described by Robert Owen in his book, "Qualitative Research: The early years".
One of the interesting results of their research work is that they were best when the prayer was non-directional, that is when the prayer was simply for the plants general well-being, rather than for a specific result, such as a certain growth rate or overall height.
More experiments are being done and scientific theories are being developed to describe Reiki and other healing techniques. As we continue into the millennium, increasing interest along with more sensitive equipment will allow science to more completely understand, validate, and accept the reality of spiritual healing. As this happens, we will see increasing use of Reiki and other laying-on hands healing coming into common use by individuals for themselves and family along with its use in hospitals and doctors offices. The deeper understanding about the nature of health and the unity of all life this re-discovered age old wisdom will provide will reduce suffering and make earth a more worthwhile place to live.
With this in mind, let us be encouraged to continue in the spirit of Reiki to help others and to heal the planet.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
1. Most of the earth's surface consists of water; there is much more water than there is land.
2. Water can not only be found on the surface, but also in the ground and in the air.
3. There is the same amount of water on earth as there was when the earth was formed. The water that came from your faucet could contain molecules that Neanderthals drank…
4. The overall amount of water on our planet has remained the same for two billion years.
5. There are two kinds of water; salt water and freshwater. Salt water contains great amounts of salt, whereas freshwater has a dissolved salt concentration of less than 1%. Only freshwater can be applied as drinking water.
6. Water consists of three atoms, 2 Hydrogen atoms and an Oxygen atom, that are bond together due to electrical charges.
7. The weight of a water molecule depends on the number of moles present, as it is 18 grams per mole.
8. Water moves around the earth in a water cycle. The water cycle has five parts: evaporation, condensation, precipitation, infiltration and surface run-off.
9. In a 100-year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
10. Groundwater can take a human lifetime just to traverse a mile.
11. Most of the earth's surface water is permanently frozen or salty.
12. Water regulates the earth's temperature.
13. Water freezes at zero degrees Celcius.
14. Water vaporizes at a hundred degrees Celcius.
15. Water is the only substance that is found naturally on earth in three forms: liquid, gas, solid.
16. If water changes phase its physical appearance changes due to parting of water molecules. In the solid phase the water molecules are close together and in the gaseous phase they are the furthest apart.
17. Frozen water is 9% lighter than water, which is why ice floats on water.
18. A litre of water weighs 1.01 kilograms.
19. It doesn't take much salt to make water "salty." If one-thousandth (or more) of the weight of water is from salt, then the water is "saline."
20. Saline water can be desalinated for use as drinking water by going through a process to remove the salt from the water.
21. When water contains a lot of calcium and magnesium, it is called hard water. Hard water is not suited for all purposes water is normally used for.
22. To determine water quality certified agencies take samples that are tested in a laboratory. The samples are tested on various factors, to determine if they suffice water quality standards.
23. Each country has its own water quality standards that determine to which degree water should be purified, depending on the purpose it will be used for.
About water quantities:
1. As oceans are very wide and there are multiple to be found on earth, oceans store most of the earth's water. This is apparently 97% of the total amount of water on earth, 2% of which is frozen.
2. 80% of the earth's water is surface water. The other 20% is either ground water or atmospheric water vapour.
3. Of all the water on earth, only 2,5% is fresh water. Fresh water is either groundwater (0,5%), or readily accessible water in lakes, streams, rivers, etc. (0,01%).
4. If all the world's water were fit into a gallon jug, the fresh water available for us to use would equal only about one tablespoon.
5. Over 90% of the world's supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica.
6. Less than 1% of the water supply on earth can be used as drinking water.
7. The earth's total amount of water has a volume of about 344 million cubic miles.· 315 million cubic miles is seawater.· 9 million cubic miles is groundwater in aquifers.· 7 million cubic miles is frozen in polar ice caps.· 53,000 cubic miles of water pass through the planet's lakes and streams.· 4,000 cubic miles of water is atmospheric moisture.· 3,400 cubic miles of water are locked within the bodies of living things.
8. Approximately 66% of the human body consists of water. Water exists within all our organs and it is transported throughout our body to assist physical functions.
9. The total amount of water in the body of an average adult is 37 litres.
10. Human brains are 75% water.
11. Human bones are 25% water.
12. Human blood is 83% water.
13. 75% of a chicken is water.
14. 80% of a pineapple is water.
15. 95% of a tomato is water.
16. 70% of an elephant is water.
17. Each day the sun evaporates a trillion tons of water.
18. A single tree will give off 265 liters (70 gallons) of water per day in evaporation.
19. An acre of corn will give off 15,000 litres (4,000 gallons) of water per day in evaporation.
20. A small drip from a faucet can waste as much as 75 litres of water a day.
About water health:
1. A person can live about a month without food, but only about a week without water. If a human does not absorb enough water dehydration is the result.
2. A person must consume 2 litres of water daily to live healthily. Humans drink an average of 75.000 litres of water throughout their life.
3. Humans cannot drink salt water.
4. More than 2 billion people on earth do not have a safe supply of water.
5. Water regulates the temperature of the human body. If you have caught a fever you should drink lots of water.
6. Water removes waste from the human body.
7. You should never drink water straight from a lake or river, as it can be damaging to your health.
8. If you live in an old house with lead pipelines you could get health problems. Due to weathering of the pipelines lead can end up in your tap water.
9. Your drinking water may be fluoridated to help prevent dental cavities.
10. Water leaves the stomach five minutes after consumption.
11. Centres for Disease Control receive notification of more than 4,000 cases per year of illness due to drinking water contamination.
12. A quarter of the world's population is without safe drinking water.
13. Water can cause serious health damage when it is contaminated by bacteria and other microrganisms.
14. In most cities and towns, drinking water from the tap is treated so that people don't get sick with diseases such as cholera and typhoid, which are caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites found naturally in the water.
About water use and saving water:
2. Americans use five times the amount of water that Europeans use.
3. Humans daily use about 190 litres (50 gallons) of water.
4. A person pays about 25 cents for water use on a daily basis.
5. Two thirds of the water used in a home is used in the bathroom.
6. To flush a toilet we use 7.5 to 26.5 litres (2 to 7 gallons) of water.
7. In a five-minute shower we use 95 to 190 litres (25 to 50 gallons) of water.
8. To brush your teeth you use 7.5 litres (2 gallons) of water.
9. For an automatic dishwasher 35 to 45 litres (9 to 12 gallons) of water is used.
10. Saving a bottle of cold water in the fridge is better that taking it from the tap, because it saves time and water.
11. While brushing your teeth, instead of leaving the tap running, you should fill up a glass to rinse your mouth.
12. Baths use less water than a typical shower. Soaking in a partially filled tub will use less water than a short shower.
13. The average person spends less than 1 % of his or her total personal expenditure dollars for water, wastewater, and water disposal services.
14. Less than 1% of the water treated by public water systems is used for drinking and cooking.
15. Bottled water can be up to 1000 times more expensive than tap water and it may not be as safe.
16. Today, at least 400 million people live in regions with severe water shortages.
About water pollution and related problems:
1. Humans largely influence the factors that determine water quality, as they depose off their waste in water and add all kinds of substances and contaminants that are not naturally present. We now know more than 70.000 water pollutants.
2. About 450 cubic kilometres of wastewater are carried into coastal areas by rivers and streams every year. These pollution loads require an additional 6,000 cubic kilometres of freshwater to dilute the pollution. This amount equals to two-thirds of the world's total stable run-off.
3. Public water supplies must meet or exceed certain standards. The kind of standards that are used differ for each country. Many public water supplies consistently supply water that is much better than the minimum standards.
4. Four litres (1 gallon) of gasoline can contaminate approximately 2.8 million litres (750,000 gallons) of water.
5. Groundwater supplies serve about 80% of the population, whereas up to 4% of usable groundwater is already polluted.
6. There are 12,000 different toxic chemical compounds in industrial use today, and more than 500 new chemicals are developed each year.
7. Over 70,000 different water contaminants have been identified.
8. Each day almost 10,000 children under the age of 5 in Third World countries die as a result of illnesses contracted by use of impure water.
9. Today, drinking water meets over a hundred different standards for drinking water quality.
10. The principal sources of contamination are associated with the post World War II chemical age.
11. If all new sources of contamination could be eliminated, in 10 years, 98% of all available groundwater would then be free of pollution.
12. Most of the world's people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch water.
13. Freshwater animals are disappearing five times faster than land animals.
About water as a raw material:
1. It takes 5,680 litres (1,500 gallons) of water to process one barrel of beer.
2. It takes 450 litres (120 gallons) of water to produce one egg.
3. To process one chicken we need 44 litres (11.6 gallons) of water.
4. To process one can of fruit or vegetables we need 35 litres (9.3 gallons) of water.
5. About 25,700 litres (6,800 gallons) of water is required to grow a day's food for a family of four.
6. It takes 7,000 litres (1,850 gallons) of water to refine one barrel of crude oil.
7. To manufacture new cars 148,000 litres (39,000 gallons) of water are used per car.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Well I know I'm going to pursue my Reiki Master Teacher level. It's only logical - not so radical, but necessary on my journey. I've come so far and the next step would be the last in my "official" certification and training. Then, I would be able to attune others to Reiki so that they can teach others and so on and so on....sounds like a sweet legacy and an official plan to me.
John 7:38 NIV
20He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth,
I think God would point out though, that we're the ones that move and we're the ones that change. I'm just sayin'.